With more than one child, you try.... SO, so hard to do the same.. EVERYTHING the same... and equal for all/both kids.. regardless of how far apart they are in age and what sex they are. You love them equally and you want them to know that there are no favorites.
*sigh*
this is a challenge to do based on the obstacles life throws ya'!! Let it be known and felt by many, if not all, that making it equal and fair 100% of the time... it just 'aint gonna happen, folks!
My excuse is that my kids are 13.5 months apart in age (no, that was not planned) and as I was just finishing Magoo's masterpiece of a scrap/babybook, Sweet Pea came into the world 4 weeks later... but before he arrived, he threw out my back for a good 2 weeks.. so prepping for the book was challenging enough... and THEN!... we put our house up for sale when he was just a month old (who has time to take and organize pictures when you are packing and organizing boxes?).. THEN... when he was 4 months old, we moved across country.. and even though I purposely left all my "stuff" out to do his book while in our rental, I never started it.. I was obsessed with looking for a permanent place to live.. and then we moved AGAIN to the home we are in now when Sweet Pea was 7 months old.. After unpacking and getting settled, that little shit was already one year old, and I was very shameful of my lack of organization with his "first-year-of-life" book.
damn!
Well, the reality hit me hard tonight...
I am doing the dishes and I asked Magoo to help me by getting out some tupperware to put some food away. As he was digging away, I recalled the days of him at 11 months of age when he would literally EMPTY my tupperware cabinet and then put everything back. He was obsessed and committed to this project.. for a good long hour or so. GREAT form of entertainment at the age... and cheap!
SO!, with my excitement, I said, "I have a picture of you doing that when you were just a little baby!".. so off we went, both of us practically skipping to the other room, to the baby book/scrapbook that is just there.. out in the open.. for any and all to see at any time.. and we started at page one.. page 2.. page 10.. laughing and giggling and reading the book.. such fun!
Well, along comes Sweet Pea.... and he is sweet.
"Where's me?" he asked.. I explain this is Magoo's book and that he wasn't born yet.
"Where's my book?"
*gulp*
"Oh sweety, I have yours, too, but it is still in the computer." (I havent started his yet. Is this AWFUL or what?)
"aawww!.. but I want to look at mine!"
"I know sweety.. and I promise to get yours together.. I do. I promise!" (Christmas came to mind - I got time!.. would a 5 year old appreciate that for a Christmas gift?)
This was THE!.. worst.... feeling... ever!! WORST!!!!!
but he was a sport, and sat and laughed with Magoo.. and page after page, they giggled and pointed and turned another page... and then the water balloon Sweet Pea was playing with broke and water got all over the pages.
That part sucked.

2 comments:
Do what I do- Tell them both that they are your favorite, but its a secret and their brother would be so hurt to know.
J will look at me when he is in deep water and ask very quietly if he is "still my favorite"? I always tell him he is my "favorite baby boy", and he always perks up.
Try it, they just want to be special.
Oh no!!! He didn't smile at the water on the pages did he??
Post a Comment