I am a parent who enjoys teaching a lesson... Maybe too much for my own pleasure than for their own good.... even if it is at the sake of making them cry....and making me laugh (inside, of course).....The expressions on their faces are the key to their thoughts.. and sometimes, I am sorry... it is frickin; hilarious!
So last night, in addition to the Fairy visit, St. Nicholas was expected at our house too. I did the standard thing... grabbed some coins and threw them out into 2 piles, making sure each pile ...roughly .... had the same amount (because I know Magoo will count the change he got and Sweet Pea's, too). And I dropped the coins in their shoes..
But I wasn't done.
To teach them a lesson about how I want them to start eating more potatoes, I grabbed two and simply placed one in each of their shoes. I chuckled out loud as I anticipated a reaction in the morning.. and how St. Nicholas was going to support my cause.
I set the house alarm and went to bed.
The boys got up... right on time at 5:50am.... and because they know I set the alarm at night, they knew not to open the front door. Instead, they peaked out the window by the front door and talked about their shoes...
"What is that in our shoe?" Magoo asked..
"...I dunno know.. looks like a gold ball or sum-fing." Sweet pea responded.
I chuckled in bed and threw the covers off with excitement. The alarm de-coding beeps in the laundry room echoed throughout the house, and seconds after the alarm was off, the front door flew open.
Standing in the foyer, I tied my robe, pulled my hair back in a clip and released the first of many yawns to come. The boys grabbed, what I thought was their shoes, but instead, they each turned around with a potato in their hands.
"Mom... what is this..a potato?" Magoo asked.
Before I could answer, with my perfect explanation of how "St. Nick wants you to eat more potatoes!" ....Sweet Pea blurts out... "This is from Black Peter!" He didnt look happy. Neither did Magoo.
THIS... was NOT the response I had anticipated.
"Black Peter? Why do you think that?" I asked.
"Because Back Peter brings bad things for bad kids... like onions and potatoes and carrots." They were both frowning as I was trying to conceal my smile behind the camera.
I tried explaining my theory.. about how St. Nick wanted them to eat more potatoes, etc. They stared at me blankly. I went on to say they are good kids and that Black Peter do not come here last night... that I reeeeeally think it was St. Nick.. And then I noticed they didnt even have their shoes with them.
"Did you look in both shoes?" They looked at each other, and then raced the 10 feet back to the door... and I heard laughter.
Around they turned with their shoes.. smiles on their faces, and found the coins.
They dumped out their shoes and began counting..
"So do you think that was Black Peter?" I asked Sweet Pea. But he didnt answer.. Magoo did. "Noooooo".... that was St Nick. He just wants us to eat more potatoes!"
They both laughed.. as did I.

1 comment:
PRICELESS.
Post a Comment