Friday, December 5, 2008

The Feast of St. Nicholas - PART ONE


When I picked up Sweet Pea from school today, his face was cheery and his eyes were big and before I could get to the sidewalk, he was prancing to me, bouncing on his tippy toes and hiding something in his jacket..  

"Guess who came to school today?"  He blurted out before I could reach out and touch him...  

"Who?"  I asked, with my eyebrows up to really show my curiosity.

"St. Nick!" he replied as he pulled out the big candy cane from behind his jacket.. He was so excited.  

I, on the other hand, simply thought that the teachers may have left the kids something when they were playing outside, so it never occurred to me that there may have been a physical being, being St. Nick. ....  so I never asked questions..   We got to the car, and after I got him all settled in and me in the drivers seat, he went on to tell me how he also learned about Black Peter today......  

"What?"  I asked with horror as I frowned and turned back to look at him.

"Black Peter left bad things to bad kids."  That was all he had to say about that.  And again, I didn't ask any questions, as I thought he was referencing a story he may have heard in school today. 

****  

Magoo got home about 4pm.   He was full of energy telling a random story with his loud voice as he walked thru the front door, with his hands flailing in the air, his head rolling in circles and his laugh that was interwoven with every 4-5 words..   The back pack was thrown to the floor, everything in his hands was set on the table and once he stopped giggling and took a breath, he said... 

"Guess who came to school today, mom?!"....   and before I could even say a thing, he answered himself..  "St Nicholas!"...   

I asked a couple questions.  "Really?!  What did he do?" 

Magoo was talking with his hands, "He came in and he talked with all of us and he told me I was a god boy."  His hands were on his hips by the end of the sentence.

"Yeah, me too!"  Sweet Pea squeezed in his alibi too.

"Well this is good news!"  My eyes lit up for them both.  They welcomed the affirmation that Santa would treat them well this year since they have been "good".

"Oh.... and mom!?"  Magoo forgot something..   "Tomorrow is the Feast Day of St Nickolas, so we have to put our shoes outside."  

"Yeah"..  interrupts Sweet Pea..  and his hands fold in front of him, fingers intertwined as he looks at me and then to the wall beside me as he explians.. "St Nick is supposed to put money in our shoes tonight...coins, actually."  He says this with....out 100% confidence, so he looks at me, big-eyed, eye brows slightly lifted until I validate his comment by confirming it with "That's right, buddy!"  

They both jumped in place, and cheered with delight. 

****

At dinner, I made a roast and potatoes.  The boys have seen potatoes at dinner a lot lately, mostly at a friend's house, but this was the first time at our house..  They dont like potatoes. The last couple times potatoes have been served, whether they be mashed or au gratin or boiled, its a fight.  

I asked them each to eat one piece and that would be enough.. I ALSO told them to start getting used to it, because they are going to be seeing more and more potatoes (I dont know why we never make potatoes)..  They fussed and whined about it, but then it was painfully over. 

The evening went on.. and just as they were climbing into bed, I reminded them ..."Heys guys,  are you forgetting to do something with your shoes tonight?"  They threw off their covers and leaped from their beds, racing thru the laundry room to the garage, grabbing their shoes and placing them just outside the front door.   Magoo closed the door and rubbed his hands together with his fingers pointing up..  "I wonder how much gold coins we are gonna get?" he asked. 

Off to bed they went.


No comments: