Wednesday, July 16, 2008

From book to playground

We have been making regular trips to the local library in Park City. I enjoy it as it is in the original, and recently renovated high school from way back when (I love looking at old pictures and reading the stories they have posted in the hallway) .. and the kids really enjoy it as they have computers where they play I Spy.. and the children's section is very user friendly for all ages. There is a book reading list for each grade, so Magoo and I have been tackling the 1st and 2nd grade books.. Sweet Pea has been grabbing anything off the shelf that has an animal on the cover.. some of their favorites are Kat Kong, What are you so Grumpy About?, Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus, and James and the Giant Peach.

One book Magoo reeeeally enjoys is John, Paul George and Ben. It gives a simplistic version of the memorable things these founder fathers were known for.  The boys love hearing about Ben Franklin.. as "he was a clever lad.  Not only did he have a saying for every situation, he generously shared them with anyone.  Anywhere.  At any time."  Some of these examples in the book are "fish and visitors stink after three days,"....."three can keep a secret if two of them are dead"..  Well, according to the book, "the townspeople were so taken by his generosity, that they came up for a saying especially for Ben ... PLEASE SHUT YOUR BIG YAP!".. The boys think this is hilarious...   They ask me to read about Ben a couple two-three times before I turn the page.. and they laugh..  

Today, we went to the City Park.  They were both wearing their crocks and Magoo was trying to climb a tree.  I could see that he was struggling with the foot gripping, so I suggested he get down..  not the best shoes for tree climbing.  He wasn't happy about my suggestion.  Then he went to the spinning wheel thingy.. like a log that you run on..???   Again, being "me", I suggested that those were not the best shoes..  not safe, and I was preventing, what I felt, was a trip to Urgent Care as the committee (see the post for a better understanding) and I quickly envisioned a fall, and him slicing his chin open in which he would need stitches. I wasnt up for that experience.. So, off he got and on he moved to something else..  

There is a really cool three-sided 'Spiderman Web" climbing thingy there..  the boys love it. They climb to the top of it and they can see over all the tallest parts of the park play-structure.  I am watching and smiling from a distance now-and-again, in between reading my book, and then I hear this LOUD outburst from Magoo ... (keep in mind that what seemed to be a mom's playgroup just showed up with their cute, adorable toddlers.. all under the age of two.. little do these moms know what THEIR trips to the park will evolve into.. there must have been about 6-8 mommies with at least 2 kids each).. Magoo shouts out.. as he is pointing to me with such command.... "SHUT YOUR BIG YAP!"  

Nice.

And where was the please?  

I ignored the first time he said it.  But after the 5th time, I thought it best to get up and ask him to stop.   The moms were beginning to look at me... and I am sure they were thinking, "who talks to their kids that way?".. I also found myself saying under my breath, just loud enough for ANYONE near me to hear, "ha ha..the things they learn from STORies!".... One of the moms was dialing a number on her cell phone... I was praying she wasn't calling CPS..  

Magoo and I talked about it later over dinner..  he said he was playing...  just recapping one of his new favorite bedtime story... how appropriately shared with all at the public park.

Why cant they repeat, in public, all the educational things we actually teach them?  At least I know he has good listening retention.
 

3 comments:

Loraine said...

Thank you for the book list.... we're always looking for some new good reads.... :-)

Sandy said...

Hi! Saw you on here and it brought back so many wonderful memories of you and my time in AZ! Love your BLOG...Loraine has inspired me to start one of my own..what a wonderful way to share with friends and family! I see you are now in Park City...when, why? We left Atlanta and are living in D.C....HUGE change! Talk to you soon! Sandy (Peter, Mady, and we had Zach join us shortly after we moved to Atlanta) Oh...can I tell you how many compliments I gave had on my latter you all painted for me!!! TONS!!! Miss ya'll!

Sandy said...

Platter...thats what ya'll made!!! Would love to hear from you! pslewchanin@bellsouth.net

Have a happy day!! Sandy