Sunday, May 18, 2008

Kicking a Rock

Sometimes, when I walk, I look down...(yah, go figure!).. I get lost in thought and I don't pay much attention to where I am walking... thankfully, however, my good sense of direction allows me to steer myself in the right direction without running into anyone or anything..

But at any rate, when I walk -and my head is down- I will occasionally come across a rock... and kick it.   Not because it is in my way to the point that it has to be moved.. but just to kick it. The motion of my leg swinging alittle more than it would normally is almost an act of a *sigh*.... or a pause.. or a way to let out a little aggression if I am feeling frustrated or annoyed .. and at times, it is symbolic of me reverting to that act of a child....  As small of an event as it is, and as unnoticeable as it may be to someone who is 20+ feet away from me, it feels like a monumental moment to me, regardless of WHY I am doing it.

The other day, I was walking to my car after working out at the gym, and there was a guy walking in front of me... about 6'2"..  broad shoulders... he looked athletic, etc..  sweaty shirt from working out... Big Guy.. in the sense that he-could-pick-you-up-and-throw-you-in-the-air Big Guy ...(sigh)... I love that..... Anyhoots!, he had his duffle bag in one hand, with the zipper open and some clothes sticking out about to fall to the ground... his car keys were in the other hand..... and I noticed his head was down.... and then he kicked a rock.. a small one.  

hmm.

I couldn't help but wonder what was on his mind..  Was he tired?  Is someone in his family sick? Did he lose his job? Is his home in foreclosure? ... I would never know.  But he must have been thinking or feeling SOMEthing..  and even though his thoughts or concerns may be big and troublesome, he still found that little rock... and kicked it. 


1 comment:

Rachel @ Verdin Road said...

I'm not walking in front of you anymore.....