At any rate, I decided to take a new approach to this summer with the kids.... and instead of trying to keep them busy with camps, and free movies, and play dates (ok, so I have a FEW of those things scheduled already...), I thought I would take the next 2 months to RECOMMIT to the kiddos and work on "strengthening" the family by turning the family into a project....(Lord knows I love a good project!)... so I turned to Dr Phil for some advice.. its worth checking out... just as a reminder on how good we all are as parents.. AND.. how to continue to be better..
Five Factors for A phenomenal Family.
You can begin to make choices and take day-to-day actions that will create nothing short of a phenomenal family. You can choose to have one if you just resolve to do it and know where to put your focus. That's where the Five Factors for a Phenomenal Family come in. These factors aren't inherited, but they're not particularly difficult to implement. Creating these factors in your family begins with you. You must start by believing in yourself and your family's right to be phenomenal.
Dr. Phil devotes an entire chapter of Family First: Your Step-by-Step Plan for Creating a Phenomenal Family to his Five Factors for creating a family where every member is a star in their own right. This involves having a new mindset, a new philosophy and personal truth as well as a plan of action. So start now with the attitude that you are going to re-parent your family. Resolve to get your mind right and your behavior on track. Here's a brief look at the Five Factors:
read more by clicking

5 comments:
Girl, you know I love you, but you read too much!
Between the trip to Utah and playdates/pool/free movies in AZ take a nap. Enjoy your summer, the kiddos don't want to be your project- they want to swim and color and play.
Just relax. You ARE doing a great job!
Are you enjoying the benefits of our cutting board project? I think not if you are stressing and pulling out Dr Phil.
Hugs and kisses and wine smiles to you!
I am not Crabby!
:o)
Recently I re-read this and it spoke to me. I am going to try to remember this as I make my summer plans and also as I think of your Kumon/Mom of SIX friend.... I love you.
IF I HAD MY LIFE TO LIVE OVER
by Erma Bombeck
The following was written by the late Erma Bombeck
after she found out she had a fatal disease.
If I had my life to live over, I would have talked less and listened more.
I would have invited friends over to dinner even if the carpet was stained and the sofa faded.
I would have eaten the popcorn in the 'good' living room and worried much less about the dirt when someone wanted to light a fire in the fireplace.
I would have taken the time to listen to my grandfather ramble about his youth.
I would never have insisted the car windows be rolled up on a summer day because my hair had just been teased and sprayed.
I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose before it melted in storage.
I would have sat on the lawn with my children and not worried about grass stains.
I would have cried and laughed less while watching television - and more while watching life.
I would have shared more of the responsibility carried by my husband.
I would have gone to bed when I was sick instead of pretending the earth would go into a holding pattern if I weren't there for the day.
I would never have bought anything just because it was practical, wouldn't show soil or was guaranteed to last a lifetime.
Instead of wishing away nine months of pregnancy, I'd have cherished every moment and realized that the wonderment growing inside me was the only chance in life to assist God in a miracle.
When my kids kissed me impetuously, I would never have said, "Later. Now go get washed up for dinner."
There would have been more "I love you's".. More "I'm sorrys" ...
But mostly, given another shot at life, I would seize every minute... look at it and
really see it ... live it...and never give it back.
p.s. In the words of my sweet husband... F**K Dr. Phil... You're an awesome Mom... enjoy the summer!!!!!
Post a Comment