Saturday, June 7, 2008

Closet Clutter

What the problem is, I don't know, but for the life of me, I canNOT keep my bedroom closet in order.... and I pride myself on being an organized person! Picking up my house and putting things away is one of my neurotic specialties.. True, my need to be neat might have something to do with the OCD tendencies, but rarely.. rarely do the organizational skills overlap with the OCD deal.  It does happen - and when it does, LOOK OUT!, because then I am on a mission as I fall into extreme neat freak mode!, but rarely..  rarely does it happen. ok... OK!.. yes, so maybe once a week, but if I don't find order where I look and live, my mind is a mess.  

So this closet thing... I think I have determined some of the gaps.  I have the concept of the system down... and when it works, it works!   I wash, I fold.. and then I put into piles.. and there-in lies the problem as I tend to throw the pile(s) on the floor... in my closet. to be put away later.  Later being after I make those calls, after the kids go to bed, and after I take that bath I have been planning.. I will do the clothes thing later.. and the later runneth over to tomorrow... and the day after.. and then after another load of wash, fold and piles..  This is problem #1. 

The second problem is that I have nothing to wear!  I know it sounds cliche, but it's true. Do I have clothes in my closet? yes..  but are they cute and fashionable work clothes? no...  I don't work. are they fun and trendy clothes? no.  I don't go out... and I don't live in a neighborhood where you need to primp yourself up to walk the dog, (which we dont have) or do the errands (I do those after I work out at the gym.. when I am nice and sweaty.. this gives me an excuse not to have to get all pretty and such).  So I have clothes..  and why is this a problem with my mess, you ask?  well, I will tell you .. I have to go thru everything I have hanging up (or in the piles on the floor) on the rare occasion that I go somewhere in which I need to wear something other than my sweat pants or running shorts.  

Ok, so yes, I have clothes..  I have the fat clothes..  the skinny clothes.. (that I WILL get my ass into one day!)..  the sentimental clothes (those that have such fond memories.. and those from the honeymoon).. the winter clothes, the Seattle clothes.. the spring clothes, the summer clothes and the fall clothes.. the pile of clothes that I can send to my sister..  the clothes that I am thinking about giving to Goodwill..and the there are the gym clothes.. and the drawer of swim suits.. I mean, c'mon, I live in AZ.. I have a pool, I need swim suits, right? I have the 'cover my ass' skirt-suits, the 'I am swimming laps' one-piece suits, the 'I feel fat' suits, the 'I am skinny' suits (that I will fit into one day!), the new suits, and the one suit that I am saving to wear for that 'once-a-year-pool-party-you-start-planning-in February-that you-never-end-up-having' suit. And have I mentioned the jeans?!  Again, the fat jeans, the skinny jeans, and the 'if-I-ever-fit-into-these-fat-pants-again-shoot-me!' jeans... 

But again, I have nothing to wear!  I have to go thru the piles on the floor, shuffle thru the random mish-mash of an assortment stuffed on hangers, 90% of it black or white, because I am neutral that way, and 95% of which is made of cotton, so it needs to be ironed before being worn, which I never have time to do, because I pride myself on efficiency and who has time to iron?   

Here is the scenario:  It's the last day of Sweet Pea's preschool and there is an art show.  I am skipping the trip to the gym, and I need to find something other than gym clothes to wear...something cute as all the moms will be there..  and who doesn't want to look cute, right? I try on some pants.. those are still too small. damn.  how about these pants.. yeah, they fit perfect.  but I don't have the right shoes for these pants, they are too long and I don't want to wear those sexy high heels in the middle of the day.. off come the pants .. and on top of the pile of clean clothes they are thrown. I am feeling puffy anyway, so maybe I will just wear that cute skirt..I haven't worn it in weeks.. perfect!  now, where is that top.. that black one with the buttons that hits right at the waist..  I just saw it!  shit.. its in the pile.. on the floor and it is wrinkled.. no time to iron.  Ok. there is that other white top.  the sleeveless one.. crap!.. .thats in the hamper.  Ok, off the skirt goes and onto the pile.. I throw on the shorts I wore yesterday and a t-shirt that fits just right with that black bra.  now where is the bra.. ugh!  on the bottom of the pile that I just unfolded looking for the black shirt with the buttons. 

And then it is determined, out of frustration, that tomorrow is the day that I will indeed iron everything hanging, and put everything on the floor away.  I will do it tomorrow..  so it is ready to wear when I want to wear it because I am tired on not having anything to wear.  

Tomorrow, I will iron all my clothes.. after I put them all away. Because I am organized that way. 


2 comments:

Rachel @ Verdin Road said...

LMAO!!!!!! :)
I love you!! You are so freakin funny. But I do feel your pain. Who needs an iron, isn't that why someone invented THE DRYER?? Or you could be like biker boy on his hurried mornings.....he sprays his shirt (while shirt is on) with a spray bottle and just smoothes it out.

Estrella Publishing said...

I came to the happy realisation that if anything I or my family owns doesn't wash on normal with everything else and not need to be ironed then it doesn't belong in my house.
Ross was at Kumon and learnig sight words last year. He came to a flash card with a picture of an iron and ironing board. "Mommy, what's this?" he asked. I have never been so proud!