Friday, June 6, 2008

Mr. Magoos' last day of school

Technically, I missed the last day of school for Mr. Magoo.  (that was the weekend I was in Chicago.. reliving my youth.. and being reminded of my old age.. all at once).  But there was a little Completion Ceremony the day before that last day, and I was able to attend that.

There wasn't a cap and gown deal-ee-o... long story... just a simple classroom get-together where the kids sang a song, the teacher presented "The Most" awards to students, and a short social hour with food and drinks followed. The teacher is leaving, so she gave a little speech about how special all the kids are.. and then she went on to explain to the PARENTS that every child is 'responsible' and every child is 'helpful,' so if you feel that your child should receive the Most Responsible Award, know that it isn't because s/he isn't responsible, but rather there is a different characteristic that just popped out for your child .. and not to get upset if a different child gets the Most Responsible Award.  the PARENTS had to have this explained to them. funny. 

Anyway..  as she read each "The Most....." description and the examples of the behavior before each award, I thought, as I am sure every other parent thought, "oh, that's my child!"... and then a different child would get the award/certificate.. and on it went.  She would read off "Most Studious".. oh, that has to be him..  no.  "Most Friendly"..  oh, THAT's him..  no. "Most Organized".. well, if he is my son, that most indeed HAS to be him...  no.   "Most Prayerful" .. well.. I know THAT's not him..  and the awards kept coming.  24 of them, one for each kid. 

Then she said, "this student is always there to make sure other students are feeling ok if he thinks they are sad, he will give a hug to anyone who is upset.. he is the first one to make sure things are fair at the centers, and he will go out of his way so everyone is included. This is the Most Sensitive Award and it goes to......  Mr. Magoo!"  oh, he was so proud!  Up off the floor he got and reached high to receive that award from her.  It was a great day to be a parent, watching my baby finish kindergarten.








1 comment:

Phyllis Marie said...

CONGRATUALTIONS, MR. MAGOO.

Grandmomma is so proud of you. I love knowing these events in your life. I can't be there, but my whole heart is full of tickles for you.

You make my smile full of glee.

Thanks to thecardgirl for sharing!