Friday, June 27, 2008

When lessons backfire

The summer has required that I keep the boys busy..  busy busy busy. Thats us.  If I don't keep them busy and occupied, then they want the same color popsicle the brother has, the toy or book that is in the brothers hands, the chair the brother is sitting in, or else they BOTH run up and and down the aisles AND hide in the clothing racks at stores after mom asks to stop.. .. better yet, lets slap fight each other in the face at church camp!  

What is this about?!

Very. exhausting. 

I decided that instead of asking repeatedly, I ask once. and I have done everything..  E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G in my being to zip my lip. Why should I have to ask twice, right?  So at church camp this morning, I ask once.. "Please stop."  When they continue to... keep on keeping on, I say, "If you don't stop, you are not getting on the computer today."  They don't stop..  "Ok, no computer." their knees buckle and they fall to the floor and they whine in unison.. "commpuuuterrr" .. I hold my guns... "No. thats it.  No computer."

Up they go.. back to running around and giggling.  Clearly, that was ineffective. 

2 minutes later, we go thru the same thing..  The threat is no TV today.  If you don't stop and sit still, there will be not computer AND no TV today. And again..  a fall to the floor, a grab at my leg...  and together they say, "Teeeee Veeeeee.. commmpuuuuter".  No. and that is final. 

I leave them at camp, and I go home to make myself a tall drink. They come home later, we have lunch and chat about this and that. There's no TV... no computer on...  its nice! I say, "We are very busy today.. after lunch, the plan is to nap, and then we are going to the water park ... and then.... after that, we are gonna go over to Stevey's house for dinner and play at his house.".. Magoo says, "so we are gonna be gone all day?"  "Yes. so it is very important that we nap." (momma needs it)....   

So clearly, I know there is no time for TV or computer..  I mean, c'mon.  Why would I take those BOTH away on a day that I would NEED at least one of them, right? I knew they wouldn't even have a chance to play or watch.

As I am getting the boys down for their nap, I remind them that tomorrow is a big day too.. and I explain why, etc...  They start goofing off again... burying themselves under the covers...  I end up threatening them again, that if they don't calm down, I will take the TV and the computer away again tomorrow.... and then . .it happens. He figures me out. Magoo says,  "but we are busy again tomorrow too, right mom?".. I say yes..  "Well, then that is OK, we don't need the TV and the computer."  

That little shit. 

3 comments:

Rachel @ Verdin Road said...

Oh that totally sucks.

Loraine said...

The boys still take naps???? Girlfriend, you're soooo lucky!!!!

Hair Girl said...

Well the day has come that your boys are smarter than you. Welcome to my world...