Monday, June 23, 2008

Watch and Learn

Summer time has definitely brought on less routine and more activities.. but with the heat, being indoors is sometimes easier...and I hate to say it, the TV viewing is... well.. MORE than I like.  But I do monitor the programs and I do still limit it. 

Magoo is a sponge.  Both my kids are really, as I am sure MANY kids are..  but, of course, I think mine are the spongiest.  During their morning TV viewing,  there will be a channel on that has commercials every now and again.   As a result, I have learned about all of the products out there that we MUST get.... for example.. 

I was in the kitchen getting lunch ready and Magoo begins to tell me all about the Money Honey Jar.    He blurts out with excitement from the family room,  "You can get your own video game with your money honey (this is obviously a misleading truth)....  And it teaches kids how to add!" (there is a digital counter on the lid)....  now he gets up and walks over to me... "and when you buy one, you get a second one free! (it's really a 2-for-1 offer)  ...mom, you can have one and me and Sweat Pea can have one.. order now, mom!" he says (as the voice-over proclaims with the ORDER NOW flashing on the TV screen).   I appease him for a brief moment and say, "OK, I will call"... and his eyes light up with amazement, "you already know the number?!... cool!!!"

They really do watch and learn... learn the scripts of the commercials... literally, word.  for.  word.  The good news is that I now know he isn't hard of hearing, as I often think he is when I call him name to do something..   and he doesn't respond.

huh.

****
Here is some very good information on TV viewing for children.  Also, a great place to get movie reviews.. Kung Fu Panda and WALL-E were both awarded a Seal of Approval.  

THIS IS WORTH A READ!!... and go to the site for more info.... and maybe bookmark it !!  

The Parents Television Council™ (www.parentstv.org®) is a non-partisan education organization advocating responsible entertainment. It was founded in 1995 to ensure that children are not constantly assaulted by sex, violence and profanity on television and in other media. 

Television is the most powerful medium in the world. It can be a wonderful way to educate, inspire, and entertain America's children. Sadly it's doing the opposite and undermining the positive values parents are trying to instill in their young ones.

The PTC agrees that parents have the greatest responsibility when it comes to monitoring the viewing habits of their children, but the PTC challenges actors, writers, producers, musicians, game-makers and advertisers to get serious about the vital role they play in shaping America's culture. The gratuitous sex, foul language, and violence on TV (along with stories and dialogue that create disdain for authority figures, patriotism, and religion) are having a negative effect on children. Much of the PTC's success stems from motivating the public to voice its support of family-friendly programming to network executives, advertisers, public policy leaders, and the creative community in Hollywood.... more here.

No comments: