As you may have read in a previous post, I was off to Chicago this past weekend to attend my 24-year old sister's engagement party.
this is a picture of the happy couple
(they're still young.. giv'em time).

It was GREAT to get away... really. it was great. Sooo great, in fact, that aside from wanting to squeeze my kids and kiss my hubby, I could have stayed another week.. or so. I say this shamelessly and without guilt, it's true. But home I am... home. sweet. home. (sigh)
The Good of the trip was (in no particular order) ....
- not having to be any where at any specific time, or having to get anyone other than myself ready to be where it was we were going when we were planning on going.
- seeing the family.... mom and dad, 6 siblings, 2 in-law(s), 2 significant others, 2 nephews and meeting additional family members due to the future union of 2 people in love.
- remembering how efficient I really am.. when I travel without kids.
- oh, to feel young again: walking thru the city, feeling the energy of the people on the streets and being surrounded by tons of twenty-somethings. I was alive!
- walking 2 blocks to a local pub instead of walking 2 blocks to my neighborhood mailbox.
- leaving my husband in charge...only so he can feel the pain of what it is I do every day.
- returning home...only to hear my husband tell me that he feels the pain of what it is I do every day.
- young love.
- I drank coffee all day. any time of the day. without reason.
- my boys gave me a note when I got home.. it read, "we mist you mommy..."
this is seven of us (there are ten total)
The Bad of the trip... (again, in no particular order)
- I feel old. my younger sisters were up until 3am Friday night, out at the bars with friends, and then sitting up talking 4-EVER!.. and then on Saturday, they could have stayed up well past 2am after the engagement party.... when do these people sleep?
- text-ing. I suck.
- saying goodbye to my non-structured schedule. the lack of routine was refreshing for awhile. I will miss the independence and freedom. alot. really, I will.
- the suburbs lack culture. I live in the suburbs. I miss culture.
- I am tired due to lack of sleep. I might have to get a hotel next time.
- there was very little.. well, there was honestly NO water pressure in the apartment. not that I am complaining.
- my hair didn't agree with me all weekend. It seemed frizzy. all the time. it was humid there.
- I feel disconnected from the siblings in my family. They all have memories that I do not share with them... due to me being the one who does not live close (well, I like it like that, though.... sometimes)
- 2 drinks is my limit. per weekend visit.
- I feel old.
me drinking from da' boot
and.... finally, the Ugly....
- I think I made my mom cry. I am still not sure if it was the topic we were talking about over lunch with my dad and my sister, or if it was just me making my mom cry. I hate it when that happens. I do it every trip. I make SOMEone cry.
- my older brother was introducing himself to my sister's friends at her engagement party by his 'Muslim' name... "Haz Knot Bin Laid".
- wearing flip flops as I walked what seemed like 14 miles the first day I was there.. I have 6-7 blisters on top of my feet to show the pain. next trip.. walking shoes, regardless of dress or style.
- my sister to-be-wed was asking for a gin and tonic every 15 minutes by the end of the night at her own party. she looked good doing it, I will say that.
- getting the mail when I got home... over a weeks worth of mail. mostly junk mail.. and credit card applications. I hate that. Sometimes, I rip up the credit card applications and put the tiny pieces back in the enclosed return-envelope and send it back to the company. I'll show them.
- I didn't poop all weekend. I don't why. I just didn't.
- I think I gained 5 pounds from drinking and eating nothing but salt. drinking beer from the da' boot at the Brauhuas didn't help. and of course the humidity didnt help either. I felt swollen for many reasons.
- coming home to find the kitchen floor was not swept the 4 days I was gone. that's gross.
- wedding's are expensive... I don't think she is gonna stay within her budget.
- While I was gone, my hubby recorded a dozen or so episodes of Family Guy.. and he is now addicted. he is watching them one after another... laying horizontal on the couch.. pointing his toes with his one leg up over the back of the couch.. snorting. laughing. hysterically.
I still haven't unpacked my bag. In fact, it hasn't been removed from the back of the car yet. Usually, when returning from a trip, all the bags are brought in, dirty clothes are put in the hamper and everything is put away within 30 minutes. this time? not so much. maybe I am holding on to that independence.. just not doing the regular, expected thing. I am such a rebel.

4 comments:
I don't know what I liked better-relating this to my soon to be trip 'home' to Seattle or the visual of your hubby on the couch watching Family Guy :)
Your family is beautiful!!!
The Family Guy??? :-)
I know what weighed 5 pounds!
You make me smile - ALOT. You would get bored if you didn't make someone cry every now and then. Mocking your kids for sport doesn't count!
Post a Comment