Saturday, June 14, 2008

Pull it Together

Sweet Pea was having a meltdown... about SOMEthing (we never really know what it's about.. his underwear could be inside out, the light is too bright or his cereal is in the wrong bowl)... but I asked him to do something and he 'responded' by saying "NO!" in conjunction with the head-throw-back and the dramatic fall-to-the-knees.. all in one big swoop.  After 2-3 of these fits, Beaver Boy steps in... (he missed the first two because he was outside) and he comes over to Sweet Pea, assertively grabs him by the arm (not knowing what the hell is going on), and demands that he not talk to his mother (that would be me!) like that.  So, BB sent him to his room.  

Sweet Pea whaled the whole way there... head tilted back, looking at the ceiling.. shoulders slumped... feet dragging.   The whaling volume increased the further away he got.  

He sat in the doorway and cried..  tears filled a bucket or two, and he begged to come out.  After 75 long-and-noisy full seconds of this (I know, I'm a sucker to comfort), I quickly walked down the hall to his room, stepped over him, and planted my ass on the floor up against the wall (sitting cross-legged in my old age is waaaaaay too difficult... and painful on the knees!  I need that back support), and I asked him to come sit on my lap. He did.

We talked about why he was so upset..  he tried to get the words out between the sobbing.. I could barely understand him, but I continued to say "I know, honey" to everything.. (validation is key in a moment of emotional out-pouring... even if it doesn't make a shit of sense.)  I explained that it is OK to be upset, but it is not OK to behave the way he did. He needs to use his words and tell us what is bothering him... again, more sobbing, and limp arms.. and tears. After a few minutes of holding him and consoling him, I asked if he is ready to go back out in the family room..  he said yes.  I said, "OK.. now think about what you meant to say.. and lets try and use your words to say it.. Now stand up and pull it together." 

I held him up from his armpits, waiting for him to put his legs down.. they are still curled up like cold, wrinkled, cotton pant legs that have been sitting in the dryer for days.. I give him a big shake, hoping the legs would straighten out.. "C'mon" I said.. "Lets go.. are you ready?".. still sobbing.. "eee-Yaasss!"... Now he is crying more. "Sweet Pea.. lets go!" I am starting to get annoyed.. "Stand up!  put your feet down..  pull it together.. lets go!" Still, no feet wanting to plant themselves on the floor.  He is clenching me at my neck.

I am beyond frustrated.. "Sweet Pea!  What are you doing?!"  And with a big breath, he throws his hands in the air and with every bit of might he has, he bursts out, "AAAHHHH!  .. HOW WHAT DO I PULL TOGETHER?!??!! 

I just held him, and hid the smile on my face.

No comments: