I grew up in Minnesota.. lived there for over 16 years... my family moved from CA back to MN in 1987, so I still frequent the Twin Cities.. MN is the land of 10,000 (and then some) lakes... folks, that is A LOT OF WATER!! team that up with oodles and oodles of trees, and some rain and you got yourself some H-U-M-I-D-T-Y.... all of these ingredients combined makes MN synonymous to the mosquito, which happens to be the state bird. So, when I talk mosquitos, I know what it is like to have that irritating high-pitched hum in your ear.. and to feel the frustration when trying to swat them once you realize they are sucking your blood.. but even though they are slower than flies, ya' still can't get the bastards... they are beyond annoying. truly. I do not miss them.
I live in AZ now... the polar opposite of MN. the land of the dry ... very few GREEN trees.. maybe an acre of water.. its out there, somewhere ... and 0% humidity ..... it rarely rains, the cacti horde all the water and you can see dust blowing in the wind every now and again. there are no swampy marshes and never an over watered yard. in fact, most front yards have a lovely assortment of rocks.. some are pink, some red, most are the various shade of tan.. but the bottom line is that AZ is NOT a wet place..
Despite these desert conditions, I am experiencing an infestation of mosquitos ... IN MY HOUSE! Last night, as I am brushing my teeth, I see one flying around.. fine. odd, but fine. then I happened to look at the ceiling and I see two more.. what the.. ?! ok. I am not messing around.. . I am off to get the fly swatter in the kitchen.. I know how these little suckers can sneak out from underneath your hand, just when you think 'uh-huh! I gotcha!'.. so with the fly swatter, I swat one.. and then the other gets away.. but then I see another one.. and another.. AND ANOTHER!!!
45 minutes later.. yeah, that's right. 45 minutes!.... it is now 12 midnight. I am tired.. and I shit you not.. I have killed 15 mosquitos.. in my house! 7 in my bathroom.. 2 in the boys bathroom.. one in the kitchen, 3 in my bedroom and 2 in the boys bedroom. 15 flippin' things. and then this morning... 3 MORE in the bathroom.. WTF?!?!?
anyway.. annoying.
my little Sweet Pea welts up when he is bitten.. the bites get bigger than silver dollars, so I am hunting for them again tonight.. for him. well, for me too... that hum in my ear. I am a light sleeper.. and I need my rest.

No comments:
Post a Comment